Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2023

Weird day

Tuesday I had a headache all day.  I went to the chiropractor after school and it was one of the times where he was astounded by how messed up my neck was--my hip too.  I still had a headache.

We went to Culver's for dinner because it was Bonneville night there.  It is always a lot of fun.  The place is packed with Bonneville families.  My students who I'd just seen a few hours earlier and they weren't at all thrilled about it were over the moon to see me at Culver's.  I don't know.  Teachers outside the school are way more exciting than teachers inside the school.

My head still hurt and I didn't feel like eating much.

I had a hard time sleeping because my head hurt so much.  At 2:00 AM, I wrote some marginally coherent sub plans for the morning.  I decided that my headache would be gone by the afternoon.

I finally slept and woke up around 7:30.  My headache was gone but so was my energy.  I was completely sapped.  I decided to go tidy up the house a bit but I never did.  I just was empty.  

I wasn't hungry but I made a peanut butter and jam sandwich and took it with me to school.  When I let my students in from lunch recess, one of them said, "Finally! You're back."

They have zero sympathy for teachers missing a day of school.  They take it as a personal affront.

I felt a lot better, but it was clear to me that I was still a little foggy when I passed out papers and kept missing students.  "Teacher!  You forgot me!"

When they went to art class, I was finally hungry and I ate my sandwich.  The day was over really quickly (a half day will do that) and then I had a School Community Council meeting of which I am a reluctant member.

When that was over, there were definitely things I could have done around my classroom, but I went home and took a nap.

Don't underestimate the power of a nap at 5:00 PM.  Conventional wisdom would say it isn't a good time to nap, but they would say 2:00 AM is a bad time to write sub plans so conventional wisdom...well, it's not  wrong.

Adam is in Chicago and I had a dinner date with Janelle at Chubby's.  It was so good to see her!  I miss her.  We caught up on all the things and we planned a party.  We decided that we are going to have a teacher friend party every time grades are due.  That will remind us.  We got out our calendars and wrote a  guest list.  It was the most normal time in the 24 hours.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

So sorry for your horrible pain (and sleeplessness). I hope today you are all better! 🙏

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails