Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Team mom

Yesterday was field day and the difference between field day for them and the track meet when I was in elementary school is vast.  This is SO much better.  

(Says the girl who came in last in every race.)

They play fun games and everyone participates and has a good time.

In the afternoon, the 6th graders play kickball against the teachers.  There are always plenty of teachers to play and I sit on the side with my class and any other random classes whose teachers are playing kickball.

And it's not that I'm old (although I kind of am).  It's that I don't want to play.  I wouldn't have wanted to play when I was a kid, but the great part of being a grown up is you can say, "No."

My students asked, "Teacher, why aren't you playing?"

My answer was very simple and honest.  "I don't want to."

A sixth grade teacher brought me her sunscreen.  She said, "Will you hold this?"

I said yes.

The PE teacher brought me his lanyard and keys.  He said, "Will you hold this?"

I said yes.

A sixth grader, who used to be my student, handed me a pile of candy (the PTA was selling candy) and asked, "Will you hold this?"

I said yes.

He came back for the candy.  I had to track down the teachers who are approximately the same ages as my children.  "Here's your sunscreen."

"Oh, thank you!  I forgot you had it."

"Here's your lanyard."

"Oh wow, I forgot all about that."

Everybody needs a mom and I'm here for it. 

Just don't ask me to play kickball.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

I love this!

Mark Dahl said...

I am glad you finally enjoy track day. I would be in your camp also. I don't like running.

Olivia Cobian said...

Good job taking care of everyone. You have always been a great nurturer. Were they playing kickball with one of those huge, crisp, cross-hatched-designed balls? I love those. Elementary school kickball might be my favorite sport. I wonder if I would like it as much now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails