Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Blocks with Britta

Last night I had the happy opportunity to babysit Britta (and Freja but Freja mostly just goes into Emma's room with Emma and shuts the door so I'm not sure that counts).

I think one year olds are marvelous.

Britta (re) opened my eyes to lessons learned when my own children were that age.

I remembered to delight in simple things. I had a jar of colored pencils. Britta would pull one out, try it on the paper, giggle in pleasure, then pull another pencil out. Over and over. A jar full of multi-colored pencils is a pretty great thing.

I remembered that Mark is not now (or ever was) going to let himself be passed over. He brought me books to read to him while I was reading to Britta. He wanted me to trace his hand while I was tracing Britta's. Finally when he thought he was being neglected too much (he's usually firmly situated as the apple of his mother's eye and he knows it), he went and got one of his school books and read to me while I built block towers for Britta to knock over. (He got the expected praise and admiration he was looking for.)

And speaking of block towers, I remembered a lesson I learned back when I built block towers with my own when they were one. One year olds want to build the tower up and up and up and quickly (so they can topple it in a fell swoop). If they let me, I try to create a stable base to build the tower upon. That way the tower can get much higher. This takes a little time and one year olds are not part of the patient set. They don't appreciate the effort.

Whenever this happens, I think of my life. I think of how I have my own plans and I want to go up and up and up and quickly. I think of my Heavenly Father. He knows more than me. He sees that I need a solid base before I can go up and up and up. He sends me trials (big and small) that force me to slow down, to seek insight, to pray, to build a stronger base. If I'm too impatient to let the base be built, I will surely topple.

Maybe I'll learn to slow down and build that base, make it solid and sure. I'll try.

1 comment:

Hannah Stevenson said...

I loved this. I will remember it when Laurel and Maisy and I are building our block towers tomorrow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails