Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

A Movie You Should See

I love to put books on hold at the library...often late at night when Adam's out of town and I can't sleep. I put book after book on hold then I get emails reporting I can pick them up. It's like Christmas. A pile of books. Sometimes I can't even remember why I put them on hold.

The same thing happens with movies. I put them in my Blockbuster.com queue. Usually enough time passes between putting them in my queue and them arriving that I forget all about them. I enjoy the happy surprises.

Recently I received Children of Heaven.



I knew nothing about this movie. I had no idea why I'd placed it in my queue. (I've since learned that maybe Olivia recommended it to me because she's seen it too...where else would I have heard of it?) I read the synopsis on the little envelope. It's an Iranian movie about a brother and sister that share a pair of shoes. Hmmmm.

Adam and I watched it last night.

And I'm in love.

I want to jump on the next plane to Tehran and hug the little boy and his adorable sister.




I want to call them heroes. I want to take them a suitcase full of shoes.

I won't do any of these things because they're not little kids anymore (the movie was filmed in 1997), and Tehran is not a vacation spot on my list and the movie was fiction anyway.

What a movie though.

The synopsis was correct. It's about a brother and sister. The brother accidentally loses his sister's shoes on the way home from getting them repaired. They don't want to tell their impoverished parents so they share his shoes. It's not the most complicated plot ever but it made my heart sing. I was inspired by the kindness and simplicity of the movie. It made me want to be better and do better.

And appreciate my shoes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails