Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Grandma Moses



I have long been an admirer of Grandma Moses' paintings. Now I'm an admirer of Grandma Moses herself.

We learned about her in school today. She and her nine brothers and sisters grew up on a farm in New York. She didn't have much time for school but instead went to work on a nearby farm when she was twelve years old. She sewed, cooked, cleaned and made soap and candles. After she was married, she and her husband lived on a farm and raised five children. Her art (in all her spare time!) was needle work.

At the age of 76, she was widowed and life on the farm became too difficult. She moved in with her daughter. Because of arthritis, sewing was too hard.

So she started painting.

She painted until she died at the age of 101. She said, "If I didn't start painting, I would have raised chickens. I would never sit back in a rocking chair."

So I've been thinking about Grandma Moses.

How I admire people that can reinvent themselves. My brother Enoch can do that. That may be one of my favorite things about him (that and the excellent job he did picking a wife).

I've been thinking about Grandma Moses as I've gone about my daily round.

I thought about her when I washed dishes and laundry by spinning dials and pushing buttons and adding soap that I most certainly did not make.

I thought about her when I used my microwave, zipped electric clippers over Adam's head and a wet Swiffer mop over my floors. I thought about her when I pulled boneless skinless chicken breasts out of my freezer.

I thought about her as my van effortlessly ate up miles as I did my errands.

If Grandma Moses could accomplish all that she accomplished and here I sit with time saving devices coming out of my ears, I had just better do something worthwhile with my life.

I'll try, Grandma Moses.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Grandma would be proud of all the "worthwhile" you do.

Olivia Cobian said...

Make that Grandma MOSES--although any grandma would be proud.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails