Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Some are born confident, some achieve confidence and some have confidence thrust upon them

Besides their long legs, my brothers are long on self-assurance. They range from quietly confident (you know who you are) to downright cocky (you know who you are). I’ve always credited this trait to the fact that they are, after all, Dahl men. Every Dahl man I’ve ever met has quite a bit of aplomb.

I’ve been thinking about my mom though, today’s her birthday. She just might be the most confident person I know. Maybe that’s where my brothers got it.

Her brand of confidence is not just reserved for her though. She bequeathed it on her children by force of her will.

I remember on many occasions telling my mom (likely in a whiny voice), “I can’t …” She would say firmly, “You can and you will.” It’s didn’t leave a lot of room for discussion.

Once when a friend was being monetarily rewarded for good grades, I told my mom I thought I deserved some money for my grades. She didn’t miss a beat and told me that of course I got good grades, she expected it, she wasn’t going to pay me for it.

In high school, I balked at the idea of taking physics and chemistry—I didn’t want to. My mom said, “You will take every class Wells High School has to offer.” As if I were on a different plane than the other mere mortals that walked the halls of the school. (She did however let me opt out of biology II where I would have had to dissect a pig…I’m forever grateful.)

All of this just expecting greatness from me (sadly) didn’t turn me into a dazzling success in any arena but I do know one thing to my core…my mom believes in me.

Once I asked her if she’d ever doubted herself homeschooling. She homeschooled my brothers. She looked at me like I had two heads and said, “Of course not. No one loved them more than I do.” I doubt myself every other day so I looked back at her like she had two heads but I also felt bolstered.

More recently I was seeking comfort from my wise mother who is the source of licking all wounds. I told her I didn’t think I had the courage/faith/strength to help my family through a difficult time. Typically she didn’t leave room for any of (my) doubt. She simply said, “You have to.”

Without frills, my mother believes in me. She has the “give your kids roots and wings” thing mastered. Of all of the reasons I have to believe that Heavenly Father loves me, I think the parents I was born to tops the list. They made all the difference.

Happy Birthday to my dear Mama. I’m glad you’re mine and I’m yours.

5 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

I love this post! You are an amazing writer. I am thankful for
Grandma too. I can't wait to see you when you come for Women's Conference.

Janet said...

How fortunate you are to have such a mother . . . you chose wisely dear friend.

Mark Dahl said...

Thank you Thelma. This is your mother who is at work and can't remember her own password. Luckily I can remember your dad's. Thank you for the nice things you said. But you give me way too much credit. You are very capable and you CAN do it all. Love you.

Clarissa Johnson said...

This is great! If Cor can be Mark, then I can be Clarissa. I can't remember my password either! I love you Mama and I love you Thelma. Love, Marianne

Olivia Cobian said...

This is really me. I just wanted to jump on the "I love you" train.

I love you all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails