Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Emma's Accidental Cheddar Company

The only thing Emma's ever done fast in her life is be born. Neither the doctor or epidural made it in time for her birth.

She's done things slower since then. She's always the last one out of bed, the last one to get started on her work, the last one to finish. She's hard to hurry.

Last night when Adam and I were telling her to GO TO BED when she was brushing her teeth/washing her face/kissing her brothers one last time/picking up something in her room/trying to find her night light, Adam said, "Emma needs something to be passionate about that rewards slowness. Maybe she should make wine."

I said, "Or cheese."

So Adam came up with Emma's future. Emma's Accidental Cheddar Company. She'll be late and forgetful and then realize the cheese has been sitting there far too long and it will be fine because she'll call it aged cheddar.

It's a relief to know Emma has a vocation.

I had my own experience with accidental food this morning.

Mark was positioned at the kitchen table in kindergarten mode (we've decided that's a better venue for him than the school room where his siblings are). I am taking a chocolate cake to Enrichment tonight so I got Mark started on his math page and darted to the garage for a cake mix. I know well that you don't leave a kindergartner for long or they will be gone with the wind.

I hurried back and checked Mark's progress and told him to keep going. I zig zagged around the kitchen from the fridge for eggs to the kitchenaid mixer back to the table to flip the page over for Mark and tell him instructions. Then why do two tasks at once when you can do three? I started putting breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. I crossed back to the table to produce handwriting for Mark then put the water and oil in the cake. It didn't seem like enough water but that's what the recipe on the box said. More dishes, on to phonics, back to the kitchenaid.

Then I realized that I'd made brownies.

Accidental brownies.

I pulled out phonics and went to the garage for a chocolate cake mix. This time I got an actual cake mix and I'd like to say learned my lesson about multi-tasking (or failing at multi-tasking) but I probably have not.

And really...accidental brownies? Not a bad problem to have.

1 comment:

Clarissa Johnson said...

Can Hyrum have a small role in Emma's company? I don't know what I'm going to do with that kid. Today he actually paid Morgan to clean their room so he wouldn't have to be bothered with it. When I told him that was inappropriate he said it was no different than Grandma paying Desi to take care of their plants. I pointed out that they are paying Deseret because they are out of state. Sorry, maybe comments aren't supposed to be this long. I love you blog and this post. Love, M

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails