Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

The Yale Alumni Magazine

Adam is the one that gets the Yale Alumni Magazine but I'm the one who reads it.

I like it.

I like the pictures of New Haven where I really loved living and I like reading the compelling articles which are interesting and smart.

I equate Interesting and Smart with Yale.

I like the quirky and bizarre. (Does the secret society, Skull and Bones, really have the skull of Geronimo? Did they rob the grave as a 1918 letter reports?).

I equate Quirky and Bizarre with Yale.

Maybe Yale wouldn't like that description but I was there on Easter Sunday when an undergraduate showed up at church in a light blue and white seersucker suit so I'm sticking with quirky and bizarre.

My very favorite part of the magazine is The Yale Classifieds though. They hint at a world that's about as far from mine as you can get and still be in the same country. There are ads for antiques and art and real estate that is waaaaaay out of my realm.

Then there are the personals. Who are these people? Besides "so cute, so cool, so smart and sexy-smashing looks, sharp intellect, and generous dash of irreverence", who are these people? And are men aged 57-71 answering the summons? And why 71? Is 72 just woefully too old?

I want to call these numbers just to find out who is on the other end. They are all highly entertaining to me but the best one I read: "Academic with no time for the academic blahdy-blah; allergic to attitude."

Do any of us, really, have time for the academic blahdy-blah? And does Zyrtek work as well for allergies to attitude as it does to grass pollen? I hope so because I have some children on the cusp of being teenagers and I might be allergic to attitude too...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails