Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Happy Butter's Day

My Mother's Day was sort of...lame.

I'm not one to complain. No never. But somehow, my family learned that I was a little bit cranky about it.

Today, they surprised me with "Better Mother's Day" or as Emma said, combining the two, "Butter's Day."

Emma (my cleverest of daughters) made some clues that sent me on a treasure hunt.

To find the gift that lies ahead
Look beneath your eldest's bed

Under Braeden's bed I found:

To find the gift for which you search
Look inside Emma's dress for church

Inside one of her dress pockets I found:

To find the gift that lies in store
Open first the freezing door

Inside the freezer:

To find the gift you wish to find
Search the child first left behind

(As the "second left behind", Emma's not really letting me forget)

Inside Mark's pocket I found:

To find this hard to find thing
"Lift up your voice and with us sing"

On the page of All Creatures of Our God and King in the hymnbook I found:

To find your gift (nearly there!)
Look in all your tupperware!

There I found a stapled together book with letters and pictures from my children. They were very sweetly written love letters from them to me. I would tell you about them but just like how I never complain, I never would want to toot my own horn.

We ended the evening with dinner at the Diamond Knot in Mukilteo. First we sat outside, up against rhododendron bushes with blooms as big as our heads. Mark was shivering so we went inside and sat diagonally from the "WARM BEER, LOUSY FOOD" sign. The kids each made their own pizza and I had "The Old Darby" calzone. I have no clue who Old Darby was but he made a great calzone.

You should go. And get the ginger coleslaw.

You'll thank me.

It was a good day and made me happy and I'll stop being cranky about...I mean I'll stop "never mentioning"... Mother's Day.

2 comments:

Susie said...

That was a clever hunt you went on and very cute too. Sounds like your kids did an awesome job in expressing there love and appreciation for you. Pat yourself on the back for being a GREAT mom. We will have to check that place out sounds very yummy and fun.

Olivia Cobian said...

Emma is so clever!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails