Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Movies We Watched

Growing up, our childhood culture was shaped by two cinematic genres, westerns (mostly the John Wayne variety) and musicals. You can guess which parent influenced which genre.

I blame all that early exposure to John Wayne for Tabor being fingerprinted a few days ago for a concealed weapon permit.



I am not sure I want to live in a world where my brothers carry concealed weapons.

But they didn’t ask me.

I can also blame that early exposure to the likes of Barbra Striesand for the fact that I know (and am sort of delighted) that Tabor is 28 ¾ today much like Cornelius Hackl of Yonkers, NY.



When I announced this 28 ¾ milestone to my children they gave me very blank looks. Alas, they are more strongly influenced by Star Wars and Harry Potter. (You can guess which parent…) We even made a Star Wars analogy during scripture reading time the other night. We were reading about that tricky Amalickiah wreaking havoc among the Lamanites and Mark said, “So where’s Moroni all this time?” I told him it’s like in Return of the Jedi when it shows Leia and Han on Endor...

...and Lando attacking the Death Star at the same time...


It cuts back and forth between them.

Ah-ha!

(I know...way to liken the scriptures am I right?)

Today I am here to wish my brother a happy 28 ¾ though. Unlike Horace Vandergelder, I do not think you have to be 40 before you’re worth a cent.







You’re worth more than that. (and that line’s for you Olivia…can you place it? Can you?)

2 comments:

Tabor said...

"A gun that ain't loaded and cocked ain't good for nothin." Name that one. I already carry a concealed weapon, shouldn't I be legal? Thank you for the 28.75 birthday wishes.

Olivia Cobian said...

"Hello, Pam speaking." Of course I can place that quote. "The Phone Call." Thanks for allowing me a little taste of success on a day when very little that needed doing got done (laundry, dishes, exercising, flossing children's teeth--I'd better quit). At least I know "The Phone Call." What else do I need really?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails