Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm Aghast

Look what was in my mailbox today:



Can you believe it?

Well maybe you can, but you didn't grow up with your address involving the Deeth, NV post office.

Deeth is a bit of a ghost town with a few residences and a post office. The post office is the size of an...um...postage stamp. Our mail was delivered to our house 3 days a week in a mail sack but if we wanted to get it on other days, we went to the post office. Turning the little knob on our box 2 1/2 to the right relinquished our mail.

When I was growing up Mary Lou was the post mistress. She knew us all and we knew her. When Adam was a missionary he'd send me letters

Thelma
89823

Just to shock his companions.

And the letters always got to me.

For my whole life, whenever I've sent a letter to my grandma, I've never included the box number. I don't think I know it. Maybe 89? I don't know. My cousins would write

Grandma Dahl
Deeth NV 89823

And she would get the letter.

So how did this travesty happen that the letter (my grandma's birthday card!) was returned to me?

Doris is the new postmistress. She's Mary Lou's daughter. Surely she didn't shatter my world like this.

I'm going to believe that my letter never made it out of Everett. It was halted by someone who Just Didn't Know.

Because here's what I know.

I don't want to live in a world where I have to know my Grandma Dahl's box number.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Our mail here in the suburbs of Deeth is sorted in Salt Lake now before it comes to us. I have noticed a few similar mistakes. I'm pretty sure Grandma's box is 117, but I assume you're just bringing the letter along with yourself and your lovely family. I'll see you soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails