Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Now I Finally Know My Problem


This is probably one of those times when I should lock myself away with chocolate and caffeinated beverages and a good book until I feel better...and not let you all know how stupid I really am.

But really.

I am SO stupid.

I thought I needed to write about it so I won't keep telling myself over and over.

First, let me say that my mom is an accountant. An accountant.

Then let me say that that apple fell WAY WAY WAY away from the tree. Then it rolled down the hill, into the river and floated away into the next county.

If I could afford some sort of "help"--cook, housekeeper, gardener--I would pick personal accountant. I'm not kidding. I would love to have someone else take care of any number ending two numbers beyond a decimal point and just give me pocket money and call it good.

I wish.

But alas.

I pay the bills around here. And I'm really lousy at it.

You know the bank problem I alluded to yesterday?

Well I think I have it about resolved.

We weren't just paying our mortgage twice each month.

We were also repaying one of Adam's student loans. Twice. Each. Month.

It gets worse. We've been doing that for years and I didn't know! I am cringing. I am hoping. Please let this be one of the blog posts my mom doesn't have time to read.

Because if she reads this serious tongue clucking will ensue.

And she may not even break out cranberry juice when I come to visit like she usually does because she knows I love it.

It's certainly not a bad thing, paying down a debt. It's just that that particular debt has an obscenely low interest rate. We could have put that money elsewhere and been further ahead but it's not the end of the world.

What really hurts my little heart is that I didn't know. I am staggering through life trying to keep the plates spinning and they are dropping all around me. What else have I missed?

You've got to wonder.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Missing payments would be much, much worse. Don't be hard on yourself . . . you're just an over-achiever, you can't help it. I think it's brilliant! (And I'm not joking).

lifeatthewhitehouse said...

I am so glad that I am not the only financial non-guru around here! Everyone else seems to have this budgeting stuff figured out, but neither Eric or I have a clue what we're doing! We're always hopelessly lost! :)

Suzanne said...

Really? My payments have gone the other way.

Hence the reason why Tim takes care of things.

Love your honesty. You don't need to be so hard on yourself.

Try overdrafting on your checking account by .34 cents.

Try doing that 3 times during your 3rd trimester, until your husband finally says 'we're closing your personal account', and I'm paying you out in cash for the rest of the pregnancy.

Then, he decides to continue that path for the next 3 years. LOL-- Tim would pray for a wife like you!!

Olivia Cobian said...

I didn't know interest rates could be obscene. You're so racy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails