Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Baking Day

At the end of Emma's basketball season, her coach gave each girl an award.  Emma got an award for being the Most Cerebral Player. 

She wanted to know the beginning from the end.  And everything in between.

It's her approach to life.

Since she's abandoned her plans in favor of school choir next year, one thing she gave up was Home Economics.

I told her I could teach her that.  I said, "I'm the best homemaker in the world.  I'll teach you that."

Emma gave me her look.  Oh, you have a daughter on the cusp of teenager-dom?  You know the look. 

When I was growing up my sisters and I started cooking at about Emma's age.  One of us made bread every Saturday and one of us made a dessert every Saturday.  (I've since learned my mom was more interested in teaching us than in slave labor like I supposed at the time...it is MUCH easier to do it yourself.) 

So I decided on Saturday to turn Emma loose with a dessert of her choice.

I think I'll give her an award for being the Most Cerebral Baker.

She wanted to know exactly which attachment to use on the KitchenAid (and why).  Emma wanted to be absolutely sure everything was accurately measured.  She wanted to know what "creamed" meant, what "fold in" meant and what precisely were stiff egg whites.  I'm a bit more haphazard when I cook.  I estimate things if I don't want to measure them (vanilla, shortening) and I mostly use whatever kitchen implements will yield the fewest dishes.  I have been known on many occasions to not read the directions clearly and have to improvise a little.

Maybe this is why Emma gave me that look when I told her I am the best homemaker in the world and I could teach her.

Maybe I'm second best?  Third best?  On the list?

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I wish I could eat whatever Emma baked!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails