Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Quest

I am, at my core, a very boring person.  I like what I like and I don't venture too far from it.  At Chipotle, I always get a chicken burrito; at any Thai restaurant, I get showering rama; at The Spaghetti Factory, I get spaghetti with browned butter and mizithra cheese; at The Diamond Knot, I get the Old Darby Calzone.  You get what I mean...

I am in the process of cleaning my kitchen.  (send help)  Here's a problem:  I merrily tear recipes out of magazines and set them aside to try.  I have them in a neat little stack in neat little folders with neat little paper clips.

But I don't like them.  I either want to add them in my permanent recipe book or get rid of them.

But what if there's The Perfect Recipe contained in those stacks?

(Everyone can't be vexed with such pressing problems...only some of us can handle the pressure.)

One reason I continue to rip out recipes is that I want The Perfect Recipe for a few items.  Among them, chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, chocolate lava cakes...

Are you sensing a theme?

But also, pizza dough.  THE pizza dough.  That's what I want.

And also chicken tortilla soup.  I have several reams of paper full of recipes for chicken tortilla soup.  Which one is the best one?  Why mess with recipes that aren't the Best One?

So if you thought this blog was all about trivialities, you were mistaken, my dears.  I am going to document my (occasional) progress in these various (mostly chocolate) quests.

Gather in your resources, rally all your faculties, marshal all your energies, focus all your capacities upon mastery of at least one field of endeavor. 
-John Haggai



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails