Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Decisions, Decisions


Today Mark is 8 1/2.  Half birthdays are a Big Deal around here.  That's when our winter birthday kids get their gifts.  He vacillated between wanting an ipod or another Lego set.

The way I saw it, an ipod was a great gift because it's small.  That merits high marks because I've seen the mess that is my boys' room.

The ipod wasn't such a great gift because as a family, we already have 4 ipods.  Chances are, Mark can use one at any time.  (But I want my own!)

A Lego set was a great gift because it's a toy.  Mark's the only kid that still wants a toy for his birthday.  I want to hold onto that at least for a little longer.

A Lego set wasn't such a great gift idea because Mark already has over half the Legos that exist in the world (give or take).  Again, I've seen the mess that is my boys' room.  (But an ARC 170!  The possibilities!  I can create an entire clone battle!)


Mark decided to go with the ARC 170.  I offhandedly told him that I wasn't giving him his birthday gift until his room was clean.  I didn't really mean it.  If I was a real and true stickler on clean bedrooms, they'd be more clean right?  But Mark took my words to heart.  He has cleaned his room like his life depended on it.

I should feel great because, clean room!  But I feel a little lame.  If it's seemingly that painless to get the room clean, why don't I insist on it all the time?

And what kind of mother withholds a birthday gift as a bribe?

My kind.  But I'm also going to make him a chocolate cake.

2 comments:

Juli said...

I love the idea of 1/2 birthdays. I know people that make half a cake. :)

Happy Birthday to your boy!

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm sorry I missed calling for the big half birthday! I hope it was grand!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails