Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Time

Yesterday, on my hands and knees, I scrubbed our hardwood floor and then coated it with a protective solution of some description. 

Every other day of the year, I'd be happy for a bigger kitchen.  On my hands and knees, wearing Emma's volleyball knee pads (Adam's stroke of genius), I wished for a much smaller kitchen.

I shooed everyone outside and strategically worked so that I ended up at the door.  (Because no one could walk on the floor for 2 hours.)

What I didn't plan on was the fact that I wouldn't be able to wash my hands.  I rinsed them with the hose but it was not the same.

The good news is that since I didn't wash them before it dried, my hands now have the same protective coating as the floor, except for where it's cracked off.

We hit the road and headed to Lynnwood to a welding shop to get a hitch put on our van (for bike rack purposes).  It would take a few hours so we crossed the street to where Five Guys is conveniently located.  Burgers and fries for lunch.  According to the sign, the potatoes were from Rexburg, ID, home of BYU Idaho.

"These are Mormon potatoes!"

"I don't think potatoes have a religious affiliation."

They're weird, but my children entertain me.

In an effort to eat our way through the strip mall (and to kill some time), we next got frozen yogurt next door at Menchies.  Much discussion ensued comparing it to Skinny Dip Yogurt.  (For the record, I think I prefer Skinny Dip but would not turn down some yogurt from Menchies.) 

We didn't have anywhere to rush off to since we were waiting for our van to be ready.  We sat and chatted awhile.  It was nice. 

From there we crossed the parking lot to Fred Meyer's.  Everyone had to make a selection of $2 or less.  We arranged them for judging to see whose purchase was most worthy.

I was a shoe-in with the Wheat Thins, Mark picked the bouncy ball, Braeden the frisbie, Emma the bubbles and mini bowling set.  Emma also provided the numbered signs and matching Sharpies.  
 When Adam got home, he carefully deliberated:


Then he revealed the big winner.

The bouncy ball.  Mark acted like he won the lottery (show off).

The ball does bounce "75 feet!!!" but still, I think I was robbed.

I am delighting in this whole summer and my kids are home thing though.  At times they do make me crazy/cranky (the squabbling, the messes, the disparaging agendas), but spending time with them is its own reward.

I love silent reading time when they spell words for me to define then nod in satisfaction and go back to their books.  I love Braeden's questions that puzzle me, "So how do illegal weapons and the second amendment fit together?"  (I don't know.) I love Emma's doggedness in completing tasks.  I love Mark's spontaneity and enthusiasm...and his forbearance in dealing with his allergies which have been terrible.

I'm glad they're mine.

I'm glad its summer.

(It is summer, right?  The sky here is confused on that point.)

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I vote for Wheat Thins!

JoLyn said...

What's your recommendation of the welding place? We're wondering about having a grate put over our pond. And did you like 5 Guys? We keep driving by, but haven't tried them out yet.

I miss seeing you so often, but luckily I can get my Thelma fix via blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails