Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yard Sale Finds

Today I'm linked to Nesting Place.  She's having a linky party for terrific yard sale finds.

I love the adventure of yard sales and the thrill of the hunt.  I don't think I've ever purchased something at a sale that I was planning to purchase, only happy surprises.

Here are some of my favorites:


This side table--I changed the wooden knobs for black ones and spray painted the hinges black.


This table.  I think I paid $10 each for it and and the side table.


My typewriter:


Little fingers are irresistibly drawn to its keys and since I think I paid $3 for it and it's pretty sturdy, I don't mind a bit.

My sentimental favorite is this set of equivalent fraction cubes:


Several years ago, I was admiring them at a yard sale.  The woman selling them told me she wasn't sure she could part with them because she'd homeschooled her daughters.  Homeschooling your children is heart and soul work.  It's hard to let it go.  Believe me, I know.  I told her I was homeschooling my own children.  In the instant connection that created, we chatted and learned that we used the same curriculum.

She gave me the equivalent fraction blocks free.  I use them a lot (they work very well) and think of that other mother.  I don't know her name.  I just know we both taught our children fractions on the same cubes. 

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Nice post. I homeschool too, if you ever want to part with your fraction cubes and you feel like keeping that homeschool connection. :)

Marianne said...

You are amazing. You speak so casually of changing knobs and spray-painting hinges. How do you know how to do stuff like that?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails