Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cause for Celebration

Today's the last day of school in our little one room/one student schoolhouse.  We're going out with more of a relieved sigh than a big bang.   Glad to be done.   As much as I love my delicious time with my favorite red head in the world, it's at the expense of time I'm not spending on other pursuits and it will be nice to have a little more time.

Today's also graduation for our local high school.

The other day I was at the store looking for graduation cards for two dashing young graduates I know.  I know I don't get out much.  I know my finger is not exactly on the pulse of what is now and current but I saw graduation cards for preschool, middle school, junior high.

It's weird.

Don't you just advance from those things whether you like it or not?

High school graduation seems different.  It's a big change.  No more public education.  No more being considered a kid.  Often, no more living at home.  And you have to actually meet some requirements to graduate, it isn't a foregone conclusion.

You hear all the time about the "dumbing down" of American education.  So now we're adding meaningless celebrations to the mix.  Yay!  You were able to complete our much easier curriculum!

Since Emma's in 6th grade and Braeden's in 8th, these are years to mark apparently.  There are events at their schools complete with fancy clothes and likely a lot of clapping.  I guess there's nothing wrong with a celebration.

But I mostly just want my kids back.  I'll celebrate that.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I'm with you sister. Congratulations on being done!

Susie said...

Enjoy your summer break we all need it! Thanks for your friendship that I will celebrate for, and your awesome lesson on Sunday. You are amazing women with many talents!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails