Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Books I Read in June



American Fuji by Sara Backer **

I've always been pretty neutral about whether or not I'd like to visit Japan.  This book didn't create a very rosy picture of the place though.  The author is American and lived and worked there for awhile so I wonder if she hated it.  The end of the book sort of redeemed it...I liked the ending.






The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory***

This book was set in England during the 1400s.  I started out really liking this book but as it went along, I started to really get annoyed with the House of York and all the royalty in general.  What an ambitious power hungry group!  It was fascinating to read about their lives and I enjoy history.  But, if I had been Elizabeth Plantagenet, I would have protected my family and given up all ambitions for the throne and gone to the country to raise chickens or something.

But I'm not Elizabeth Plantagenet.






Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn? by Pamela Keogh *

I'll never know if I'm a Jackie or a Marilyn because I didn't last long in this book.  I picked it up on a lark from the library but it only took me a few pages to realize I'm really just a Thelma and have more interesting things to read.









Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin ****

This is one of my all time favorite books and the book I chose for book club this month (it was my turn to pick).  It is laugh out loud funny.  It is light and airy.  It is romantic.  Love it.






Open House by Elizabeth Berg ****

I was surprised by how much I really loved this book.  It was one I just picked up.  I could have done without some of the "details" of the relationships but it was extremely well written and satisfying.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails