Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pizza quest 6

This is from awhile ago.  I am behind on these posts...




We have certain guiding principles as a family.  Certain truths that we can live by; words we could stitch on a pillow.  Well not anymore.  Even though I'd like to think that life is like pizza and even when it's bad, it's good, that is not true.

And it is demoralizing.

We had pizza that was bad.

It was so bad that even though it was pizza, it was not good.

Over a week ago, we went to #1 New York Pizza in Clearview.  It's on the outer edge of our geographic boundary for pizza restaurants.  I wish it had been outside the boundary.  Then I would never have tried the pizza.

We couldn't tell if it was open or closed.  They had a sign for each.  It turned out they were closed but willing to fill our order anyway.
It seemed promising.  We like New York style pizza.  We like the flimsy crust you have to fold over.

Also, it was sort of a dive.  Places like that are usually promising.


Adam became buddies with the owners.  He ordered the cheese pizza, then asked the guy to make him the kind of pizza he would personally like.  Adam said surprise me.

This sign was Mark's favorite part of the restaurant.
 Meanwhile the rest of us sat in the car and Emma taught me how to play Trees of Doom on my phone which is a game she downloaded.  I played for about 20 seconds but that is the limit of my interest level in games like that.

Adam emerged with fragrant boxes of pizza and we headed for home.  Braeden wanted to start eating in the car but you don't give rookie West Coast kids New York style pizza to eat in the car.  There's a certain skill involved in not getting it all over your shirt.

Once home, we each started with a slice of the cheese.



I thought it was OK (overly oregano-ed) but everyone else loved it (which is why overall, the restaurant scores high).  Braeden, who could win a prize for his speedy pizza inhalation, started on a slice of the "specialty" pizza before the rest of us were halfway done with our first piece.


He took one bite.

He grimaced.

Braeden, who has never met a piece of pizza he didn't like, set down the slice.

"You're not going to eat it?" we asked (in dismay).

"No."

So then Mark didn't even want to try it but he had to because we're having a quest here.

Mark took one bite of Braeden's rejected piece.

Then he passed it on to Emma.

She took a bite.

She handed it to me.

"Is it that bad?" I asked.

"Yes," she said.

So I took a bite of the family slice.

And yes, it was that bad.

The garlic was overpowering and there was just a bad mix of flavors.  Adam scraped part of it off and choked down a piece.

So either the guy at #1 New York Pizza has no taste buds or he had a malicious wish to give us nasty pizza.

We'll never know.


1 comment:

Whitney said...

I have been here countless time in my life (seriously.. It is the Dede's favorite place, so I've been going since elementary school) and I have only had the cheese. I love it! The other one looks nasty

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails