Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Flying the coop

Early this morning Mark flew to Georgia with his Grandma Geri and his cousin Jackson.  The house feels empty.

Last night we snuggled for a little while.  He went and got a blanket because the boy loves his creature comforts.  I had my arms around him, feeling the little man's barrel chest he's had his whole life.  (Sometimes I wonder how big he'll be when it's all said and done.)  I had already given him all the motherly lectures:  sunscreen! manners! no whining! so it was time for the lying to commence.

Mostly lies of omission.  When he said that maybe he would be homesick and miss me, I deflected the idea and said that while I would miss him a little bit (lies!) I was excited for him.  I started talking about the white sands on the beach they're going to in Florida so that I would not start begging him not to go.

It was hard to act like it was all going to be wonderful when inside I was still wondering how I'd let him go.

But then I let him go. 

Because it's what we do.  We let them go.  We let them grab opportunities when they come. 

And then we torture ourselves with pictures like this:


Have fun and be good baby boy.  (And wear sunscreen!)

2 comments:

Whitney Shane said...

I'll make sure the ginger boys wear sunscreen :)

Olivia Cobian said...

This makes me teary. Letting go is not going to be easy for this mama!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails