Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Sunday afternoon

Braeden drove himself to the church for his annual interview with the bishop.  Among other things, they talked about when he wants to serve a mission.  Braeden said right after he graduates.  The bishop said if he has his papers in by May 1, he could get his call by July 1.  As in, less than two years from now.

I said to Braeden that maybe I would thwart his plan and hide the papers and things like that.

He smiled at me a sort of patient and consoling smile and told me I wouldn't do that.

And he's right because I'm the same mother that has been telling him since before he can remember, back when his uncles were serving missions, that someday he would go too.

Braeden put his arms around me for a bolstering hug because things like two years from now make me weak in the knees and then I went to take a nap because such conflicting emotions tire me out.

When I woke up, Mark and Braeden had constructed a fort on the deck.  The sign said "boys" but they let me visit.


I guess the moral to the story is that two years from now will come...in two years.  It's up to me what I do with the time in between.

And I choose to visit the fort and enjoy the boy.


I guess it was a fort for boys and a goat and an occasional mom.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

This made me tear up. Silly me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails