Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

4th of July


Yesterday we had some friends and (it feels like) family over.  (The Jorgensens--they're our family whether they like it or not.)

It was a lovely time.  I had food to prepare and children to move furniture and red, white and blue to sprinkle around.  The weather threatened to be too cool but turned out to be just right.  (Seattle...)

I always welcome an opportunity to make up a word and Emma and I came up with a new one.  Oniata.  It's a combination of a pinata and an onion.  I got the idea (for the game) from Marianne.  I wrapped candy in layers and layers of saran wrap.  (I didn't get a good picture.)  The kids sat in a circle and one would unwrap the oniata while another would roll dice.  When they rolled doubles, the kid with the oniata had to pass it on.  It was fun and everyone got candy, which is really the point for kids.


And then Braeden made a face for the camera which is really the point for Braeden.


Among our guests were the missionaries serving here.  One of them is leaving for home in a few weeks and I will be sorry to see him go.  The influence he has had on Braeden has been wonderful.  He's just a great kid.  He shared a message with us before they left.  He talked a bit about America and went around the circle of people and had each of us say what we were grateful about, being American.  Everyone had a different answer and after each answer, I wanted to say, "Yes, me too!  I'm grateful for that too!"

Except for Mark, he said he was grateful for fireworks and I'm not.

But then, when I thought about it, maybe I am.  It's pretty great to live in a country that is prosperous and affluent enough that people have the means to spend hundreds of dollars to blow up into the sky.  More power to them.

What a blessing it is to be American.  We have opportunities to be educated.  We are pretty safe and secure.  We have running water and immunizations.   We can fire explosives into the night if we want to.

Or not.




1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Beautiful decorating! You ought to be in a magazine!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails