Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

What Mark's been up to

Our house is emptier without Mark.  And a whole lot tidier.  There aren't Legos everywhere.  Or swords--that child is a sword carrier.  I miss him. I would gladly trip over his things.

Braeden and Emma have both wondered if I miss them this much when they're gone.  Yes and no.  I do miss them.  Things feel out of sync when someone is gone.  But they're older and gone more often so it doesn't feel quite the same.  Also, they're quieter and as big as he is, even Braeden doesn't seem to take up as much space as Mark does.

Friday Mark called me on his grandma's cell phone.  He had a head-ache.  I think it was a combination of jet lag, not enough sleep, not being used to the heat and lots of excitement.  We talked on facetime on our phones.  He was crying and it took all my powers of self control to not cry too.  I put on my best poker face and acted like my heart was not breaking.  I assured him he'd feel better.  When he said he missed me I told him he was going to have so much fun.  It about killed me.  I would have given anything to take him in my arms and rub his aching head.  I told him to put a cool washcloth on his head and lie down.

After I got off the phone I got very close to buying a plane ticket.

A little while later, Geri sent me a picture of him flat on his back, cloth on his forehead, mouth wide open, sound asleep.

Saturday morning I talked to him and he was feeling a lot better.  He had slept for 11 hours and that always makes an improvement.  He was chatty and enthusiastic and it was a relief.

I still wish there were Legos around here, scattered on the floor.  I asked Gavin before Mark left if he'd come over and be my emergency son in a pinch.  He said he would.

I have stolen some photos from Whitney that she posted on facebook:

At the Varsity Drive In

visiting Uncle Kelly at work

Monkeys in their natural habitat

again at Uncle Kelly's work, he works for a movie production studio--I think that's what you call it?


Saturday, they all drove from Georgia to Florida and they are staying on the beach.  Mark has been swimming in the pool and in the ocean and he is happy.  He told us at length how wonderful both are.  It makes it exponentially easier to have him gone when he's happy.

But it still isn't easy.

I miss my baby.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails