Pages

Friday, September 4, 2015

Books I read in August 2015

August brought some good books my way.




A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler ****

I always like Anne Tyler and this was no exception.  I may have liked it even better than her others.  It's about a family over three generations.  It skips all around telling their stories.  The characters were in turns delightful and infuriating.  It gave me a lot to think about.



The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman  **

This book was OK.  I probably would have stopped reading it, but I read it for book club.  Yes, book club.  I didn't ever tell you because it was sandwiched between too many other things, but I have joined a book club.  I was slightly terrified to go because I sort of like it here in my comfort zone, but I was very glad I did.  I miss my old book club.  I love talking to women that are like minded and I like reading and talking about books.  I even like soldiering on through a book that I wouldn't read otherwise for the greater good of book club!

This book was fine until it ventured into paranormal stuff and I was thinking, "Wha?" I never really got it all, I just thought it was sort of strange.

But I read it!  And I went to book club!



A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute****

I feel like I should have read this book a long time ago.  It's been around awhile.  I told my mom about it and she read it years ago.  Where have I been?

It's about a young British woman who is in the Pacific during World War II.  She falls in love and moves to the Australian outback and really makes something of herself!  It was pretty fascinating and feel good.  This is sort of a lame book review (like most of mine are) but I figure you've probably already read the book...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails