Pages

Friday, June 30, 2017

Books I read June 2017 (and the ones I forgot about in May)



Night Night, Sleep Tight by Hallie Ephron **

This was an OK book.  It was a murder mystery set in Hollywood, surrounded by past glamor and lore.  The ending wasn't very satisfying.





Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman ***

This book is part of my slowly growing Newbery collection.  Our kids gave it to me for Mother's Day.  I liked it.  It's about a toddler whose parents are murdered.  He escapes to a graveyard and is raised by the ghosts.  It's the kind of mind expanding fantasy books that are great for kids but it was also a little creepy and I know a certain unnamed daughter of mine that would have had nightmares if she'd read this when she was young.





The One and Only by Emily Giffin *

Why did I read it?!?  It was like not being able to look away from a horrific accident.  Let me just say if I die and one of Emma's friends falls in love with Adam, I will haunt them both.  And it won't be pretty.  Up until the end I was hoping the story would end differently.  It didn't.  Ick.

I read a review on Goodreads:  "Make this the 'one and only' Emily Giffen book you don't read."





Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis ***

Another Newbery.  This was a good book with really likable characters.  The ending was a little far fetched but it also left me wanting more. 





Three Junes by Julia Glass *

I didn't finish this book.  I tried to, mostly because the cover was littered with critical acclaim and it won a National Book Award.  I didn't like any of the characters and decided life is too short for boring books full of unpleasant people.




The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George **

This was meant to be a love story but the relationships were lame and the characters were straight up broken.  It started in Paris though!  On the Seine!  I've been there!  Then they went up the Seine and to the Loire Valley.  I've been there!  Then they ended up in the south of France.  (Haven't been there.)

I thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions of the beautiful scenery and the food they ate.  It was a beautiful book.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Lili read "Bud, Not Buddy" for school this year. I'll have to read it since you awarded it 3 stars. I'm enjoying catching up on your blog after Girls' Camp!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails