Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Birthday boy

Today I have an official adult son.  He's 21.  Every mother says this every birthday her children have, but I need a minute to wrap my head around that.

Somehow he has gone from this...


to this...


...in an astonishing blink of the eye.

The good news is that I enjoy that kid more all the time.

He's celebrating with his friends tonight and we'll mark the occasion this weekend.  But I'm going to lunch with him today.  I missed the last two birthdays and I want to see his face.  Braeden is worth celebrating.

Here is my love letter to my firstborn.  Here are 21 things that I love about Braeden:

1- He is up for anything.

2- He is a dispenser of wisdom that doesn't seem like a kid his age should have.

3- He wants to do the right thing.

4- He's a little boy in a man-sized body.  Seriously.  Or a lab puppy in a man-sized body.

5- He is the first to sign up to help.

6- He knows a lot about the gospel and scriptures.

7- He is a humble receiver of correction.

8- He is funny.  So funny.

9- He makes people feel comfortable.

10- It doesn't matter how many times you tell him, he can't remember where stuff goes in the kitchen.

11- He still enthusiastically empties the dishwasher every time he can, putting stuff in wacky places.

12- He has an insatiable appetite for all things politics.  He wants to discuss.

13- He has a strong work ethic.

14- He has a strong play ethic.

15- He is loyal.

16- He is forgiving.

17- He is able to lift heavy things and reach stuff on the top shelf.

18- He is quick to apologize.

19- He is steady in adversity.

20- He is the big brother everyone wishes they had.

21- I am lucky enough to be his mom.


Happy birthday sweet Braeden.  Thank you for making me a mother 21 years ago today and for forgiving me when I've fallen short and for making me happy and for being you.

Because you are pretty great.





3 comments:

Geri said...

So grateful that he was sent to us. His flair for the dramatic pose also keeps us smiling. Happy "21st" Angel baby. Grandma

Marianne said...

I agree. He's pretty great!!

Olivia Cobian said...

I just love that Braeden!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails