Pages

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Happy New Year

We took a quick trip to Nevada to celebrate the new year with our people there.  On Sunday, before getting to Starr Valley, we stopped in Wells to see Enoch's family (since they weren't going to the party--Enoch had just returned from a trip).  I always love spending a little time with them.  Isaiah is significantly taller than Mark is now.  I guess you look at Enoch and then at Adam and it is no surprise.  We saw some of their Christmas haul and the boys had a nerf battle that extended into the room where we were sitting a few times.  It's what happens when four boys get together.  It doesn't matter how big they are.

The party was at Marianne's.  They had had a sort of traumatic day with Hyrum fainting and hitting his head which knocked him unconscious and a trip to the ER and 16 stitches (which all happened at church...except the ER part).  You can't keep a good family down though and the party went on.

We had a lovely time eating an incredible amount of incredible food and playing games and laughing.  Around 11:00, my dad and I left to go back to their house and go to bed.  It seems like more often than not, I'm the Ebenezer Scrooge of any given holiday.  I had even been "training" by staying up later than usual, but switching to Pacific Time proved too much for me.  I've never been very good at late nights.

I was up fairly early though (because I also have never been much for sleeping late) and had a nice visit with my parents.

We had our annual ladies' brunch hosted by Olivia and Liliana.

Here they are with the final touches.  It was delicious as always.
We had our traditional topic of conversation, presented by Olivia and we went around the table and talked about the past year and at least all the adult women and a few of the girls cried.  Like I told Liliana, it's genetic, you can't help it.

I love those women.  Without exception they bless my life and give me joy.

We visited some more and wrote wishes for ourselves and each other for the coming year and played games.

Even though it was getting time that we had to get on with other things, we played a round of After the Manner of the Adverb because it's what you do at brunch, at least our brunch.

I had to snap a picture of these darling girls:


Their adverb was honestly and they were being "interviewed" about what they wanted to do this upcoming year and their honest answers were lovely and revealed their sweet and good natures.  I love that these girls are in the world.

We took the obligatory pictures:

Olivia being Olivia
I loved being there with my girl.  I love doing anything with my girl.


We went back to my parents and had another delicious meal and hit the road for home.

There was an amazing moon that guided the way.  It was just rising as we made our way over Moor Hill:


We listened to music, passing the phone around to pick the next song.  Time flies when the music is good.

Our final stop before home was Del Taco City (our family's designation for the group of restaurants at the Tooele exit).

While we waiting for our tacos in the empty restaurant, the boys went and played in the play structure.  (Adam asked the teenager behind the counter if it was OK first.  He said yes.)

What a nearly 21 year old's shoes look like in the little shoe bin.

weirdos
I went straight to bed when we got home, a happy but tired traveler.

I'm grateful for my family, both immediate and extended.  I love them and enjoy our time spent together.  I am looking forward to a fresh start and a new year.  I love the potential of a blank calendar.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I wonder why I opened my mouth so big in that picture? Thanks for coming. We loved spending time with you all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails