Pages

Friday, January 19, 2018

Grateful Friday

I hosted book club last night.  Book club is one of my favorite things.  There's just something about getting together with like minded women.  Also, there's something about getting together with sort of diverse women who all like to read.  There are empty nesters, almost empty nesters, mothers with elementary age kids and mothers with newborns.  There's the one who really wants to read vampire books, the one that loves an unhappy ending, the ones who really have good insight about the characters and the ones who are really just there for the food.

I love them all.  I'm grateful they're in my life.

For the book I chose Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel.  Mostly people didn't like it and I predicted that, but there was a lot to discuss (which is what makes a successful book club pick).

In the book one of the characters hung model airplanes from her ceiling.

Mark helped me do the same.


Another character made cheese.  Also, it's set in Seattle so I had a theme to run with.



It was fun and I'm grateful for book club.  I'm one of the old ones in the group and I'm a tiny bit exotic too (I've never been exotic in my life) because I didn't grow up here and marry a boy who grew up here.  Almost all of them went to Pleasant Grove High School back in the day and then they got married and stayed.

I kind of like being the old one too.  When one of the women said her kids were obsessed with cats and she didn't want a pet cat, I said that Emma used to be obsessed with cats too.  I said, "She got over it."  Then I introduced her to Horace, the world's best pet.

I also told another woman not to take her kids to Disneyland until the youngest was six.  The first time we went, Mark was four and I ended up carrying him all day.  And he wasn't light.

That's me, the wise old sage, dispensing cautionary tales about Disneyland.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails