Pages

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Because I wanted to

I am at Pleasant Hill.  Adam is coming after work today.  Several people have said, "But why go earlier than Adam?"

I wanted to.

I wanted to be here.  I wanted to see if the yellow roses were blooming yet.  It's so peaceful and dreamy and even though everywhere I look I see projects (wash the windows! yard work!), it is still restful.

There was one rose, many more to follow.



Yesterday I listened to an audiobook while I drove and liked it so much I kept listening while I put stuff away.  I swept and vacuumed and tidied and then around 4:30, I went over to Olivia's to deliver a chair (that had been my grandma's--I think we are about done with the shuffling of stuff).  I stayed and visited.  We both embroidered the quilt blocks we were making for Ruben's graduation quilt while we talked.  I went over to my parents' house for dinner.  My mom was working on Ruben's quilt block and I finished mine while I was there.  After dinner we talked awhile, but I was tired so I came home.  

It is strange being here without Adam.

I do, however, have owls to keep me company.

When I drove up yesterday afternoon, there was a huge owl perched under the eaves of the porch.  He sat looking at me and I sat looking at him, not sure I wanted to get out of the car because he looked hungry.  Here is the zoomed in picture I took.



He flew away and went to the barn, where he continued his watchfulness, but also maybe fell asleep.



When I returned from my parents' house in the dusky light, there were three big owls on the front lawn.  Two flew away and with their big swooping wingspans, they reminded me of the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz.  The third owl just stayed there, staring at me.  Maybe he wants to be my friend; maybe he wants to eat me.

When I opened the car door, he flew away.

Eat the mice, owls.  

This morning, my mom and sisters and I are planning a walk.  Later, my dad and I are going to get rid of the behemoth juniper in front of the house.  It's nice to be in the neighborhood.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails