Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Humming along

Yesterday I picked my mom up from her treatment in the morning and we went to lunch.  We had a bit of time before we needed to go to Fallon for another appointment, so I said, "Let's drive over and look at the capitol building." It was a few blocks away.

The same mom who arranged for us to have behind the scenes tours of McDonalds, the police and fire stations, and the bakery at Albertsons one summer when we were taking swim lessons in Elko, pulled a pamphlet out of her bag that outlined a tour of historic mansions in downtown Carson City.

I loved it.  I'm a sucker for old homes.  My mom would read me a brief description of each home, complete with what ghosts were said to haunt them.  

I would take any of those gorgeous houses, ghosts and all.

Neither of us are all that good at directions and we would both look at the map and try to make sense of what we were doing.  It was OK though, because we had time.

We drove to the hospital in Fallon to meet with a surgeon about getting a port.  Everyone at the hospital was very kind and once they knew my mom's last name, it was a who's who of the Dahl family. The surgeon went to school with several of my cousins and was listing all their names and he said, "And everyone knows Harvey Dahl."

I imagine he meant my cousin Harvey Dahl who grew up in Fallon and ended up playing for the NFL, but a lot of people know Harvey Dahl my larger than life grandpa too, so it works either way.

The lady who walked us down to the surgical center where we needed to fill out forms told us the Dahls she knew and that lady who talked us through all the prep for the surgery went to school with my cousin Molly.

My mom is getting the port tomorrow morning and we are glad.  It's been a struggle to get one arranged and she needs it to continue her treatments.

Our whole family is praying for her and I feel like our prayers are being answered in little ways all along.

I am enjoying my time with her: my pleasant and kind and faithful mother, who may or may not have information about historic mansions in the area in her bag.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Great post! I'm glad you two are having some fun along the way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails