Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

My mom

My mom has me help her wrap her arm, where she has her midline, before she showers.  She brought left handed scissors for me to use to cut the tape.

She elevates motherhood to a whole new level.

I took my mom for her treatment yesterday.  She wanted me to come in so she could introduce me to everyone.  I think they probably had little interest in meeting me, but I dutifully went inside.  I'm glad I did, because what I saw was my mom shining her light in every direction.  She greeted everyone by name.  She introduced me, "This is my middle daughter."  They all met Olivia last week; next week they'll meet Marianne.  It's kind of a billy goat gruff situation.

We walked into the room where two other women were sitting in recliners, huddled under fleece blankets, hooked up to complicated IVs.  My mom cheerfully said, "Hello friends!"

She instructed me to sit down and visit.  She asked them all about their Thanksgivings and their families and she knew the details of their lives.  One of the women, who is here alone, told her all about a National Geography documentary she had watched and my mom acted fascinated.  Besides introducing me to them, she didn't say one word about herself.  She was only interested in them.

When my mom and I were driving here on Sunday we talked about how people become more like their spouses as time passes.  (I was once again grateful for Anna.) 

Joan was very dirty from Starr Valley and I told my mom, Adam would go find a carwash.  Then after I left her at the doctor's office, I decided to go and find a carwash.

My mom is right about most things.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails