Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Books I Read in January 2012



Mount Vernon Love Story by Mary Higgins Clark***

I really liked this book.  It was sweet and an interesting look at the life of George Washington.  I like reading historical fiction.  I know it isn't always 100% accurate but I like that it paints a picture for me to put facts into context.  I recommend it.  Literally, it's my turn to pick next for book club and this is what I'm picking.  Then we'll have cherry pie when we discuss it.  There is no mention of cherry pie in the book but that will not stop me.



Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares****

I love this series:  The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  I love everything I've read by Ann Brashares.  This book was devastating and hopeful and wonderful.



Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler**

I normally like Anne Tyler but this book was not one of my favorites by her.  It had the same quirky characters that I love in her books but it really just ended.  I was left thinking, "what?!"  I don't like that in a book.  Real life is untidy enough.  I like books to have a nice happy little ending.


My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira ****

More historical fiction.  This book was set during the Civil War and I LOVED this book.  I loved Mary Sutter.  I wanted to be her friend and neighbor.  The historical parts of the book were fascinating and the characters were wonderful but I'm not sure I think she ended up with the right guy.  If you've read this book, tell me what you think.


 Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury*

I did not really enjoy reading this book...I read it for book club otherwise I would have abandoned the pursuit.  I'm just not that into science fiction.  It was thought provoking and I'm sure I will enjoy our book club discussion.  I always do.

1 comment:

Clarissa Johnson said...

We read Fahrenheit 451 for English. It was kind of cool... ish... sometimes. I wouldn't have finished it if I didn't have to. Also, you are such a star! You read a lot! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails