Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Food Love

For a few years we've been celebrating a Valentine's dinner with our children (and Grandma Geri) with a seven course meal.  We decided to have the dinner last night since our weeknights resemble a poorly orchestrated circus most of the time.  We wanted to have time to savor and enjoy.

And we did.  Savor and enjoy.

My favorite part of any meal, besides the dessert, is setting the table.




There is no such thing as too much red.  (The M&Ms are dark chocolate cherry cordial...buy some, do.)

First course: shrimp cocktail



Second course: tomato bisque


Third course:  caprese salad

(Tragically, no picture. I forgot and then the salad was gone.  It was lovely though.  Arugula, grape tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I drizzled a little extra balsamic vinegar on mine.  I love that stuff.  It makes my tongue sizzle.)

Fourth course:  a palette cleansing lemon sorbet

it looks a little like a pickled egg but it tasted like a gloriously sour lemon

Fifth course:  steak, scallops, roasted sweet potatoes



Sixth course:  caramel walnut brownie and a raspberry tartlett


Seventh course: double gloucester and gouda cheese (not smoked gouda...cheese should not be smoked if you ask me), biscoff cookies and dark chocolate with lemon and black pepper.  Geri brought the chocolate.  The idea of black pepper gave me pause but once I tried it, I realized it is definitely something I can get behind.


It was a delightful meal.  It's fun to pull out all the stops once in awhile.

Afterwards we sat around in a happy state, chatting.  Geri gave me ideas for Emma's room and we talked over paint chips for a scheme I'm hatching elsewhere.

Sometimes life is just really lovely.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

We're celebrating tonight. Alas, our table will not be so lovely.

Olivia Cobian said...

I kind of wish we'd been invited...Looks like a lovely celebration of love.

Camille said...

This is my favorite tradition ever. When my children's palates have matured past pickle and mustard sandwiches we will be doing this as a family. It looks lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails