Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Live and in person, part 2

Several weeks ago, Adam texted me to see if I wanted to go to the Amazon post-holiday party.   (They have their holiday party late...they're busy helping Santa during the holiday season.)  He said Imagine Dragons was going to be performing.

I texted back, "Yes I want to go!  I love Imagine Dragons."

He responded, "Are you being sarcastic?"

NO!  (Whenever I wonder why people think I'm being sarcastic when I'm not, Emma points out to me that I'm a sarcastic person.)

But I do love Imagine Dragons.  (The lead singer is a Nevadan...I've always liked people from Nevada.  He also went to BYU...I've always liked people who went to BYU.)

Adam didn't know who they were (he doesn't have the benefit of driving around as often with the music under the direction of our children) but when I played some of their music for him, he realized he had heard some of their songs too.

I asked Adam what we were supposed to wear to the party.

He said, "I don't know...nice work clothes."

My "work clothes" are what I wear that I don't mind getting bleach on when I scrub the bathrooms.

So I wore jeans, but jeans I would mind getting bleach on.  Nice work clothes.

We drove to Seattle and ate dinner at a lovely little spot then nearly froze walking a block or so to the party.  It could be that we're a little wimpy as a result of mild winters.  (Well, I should speak for myself.  Adam probably wasn't too cold.)

Adam had to scan his badge for admittance to the party.  "Are you the plus one?" the lady asked me.  I said yes but I think that's sort of a weird question to ask someone.

The party was in a huge event center that had been transformed with an "Amazon Around the World" theme.  We walked through China and skirted past the UK:


But then at my insistence we parked ourselves in front of the main stage so we could be front and center for the concert.

a weird and dim and blurry picture of us, having staked our claim
Adam was a good sport about staying by the stage with me instead of wandering around and seeing the sights.  As the crowd started to thicken before the start of the concert, I was reminded of our freshman year of college, the night a big group of us camped outside the Marriott Center to buy football tickets.  Adam was in our group as well as an equally big guy named Brent (the Viking and the Hawaiian).  They barreled through the crowd like linebackers and the rest of us clung to them and we made it to the front of the line in short order.

At the concert, I stuck close to Adam as the crowd moved in.  People bounced off him but he pretty much wasn't moving.

As soon as the music started I was a bit thrilled and a bit concerned that my hearing would never be quite the same.  Turns out rock concerts are a little...loud.  We were about 10-15 feet from the stage.


I loved every thundering minute.  It shook my rib cage and I could feel the drum beats in my sternum (which was sort of an interesting sensation).

Here's the last thirty seconds of "It's Time," my favorite song of theirs (complete with grinning cameo appearance of me at the end): 

4 comments:

Tapper said...

So cool to see a blog about Imagine Dragons. The lead singer is my sister in law's cousin and close friend so it so exciting to watch them gain momentum. Whole night looks like a lot of fun!

Sage Grayson said...

Sooo cool! That must have been a lot of fun. "Are you the plus one?" is a weird thing to ask. Couldn't they have called you the "guest"?

Olivia Cobian said...

My favorite was your appearance.

Megan said...

You just won total cool Auntie points with Talia for seeing (and knowing about) Imagine Dragons. She had no clue you liked them! I had no clue who they were until I heard them on the radio last night.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails