Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Writing

When I went to my laptop early in the morning--as is my custom-- I found a letter from Emma tucked inside.  (The girl knows how to reach her audience.)


It was a treatise in which she requested to be able to see a movie with her cousin Talia.  She made her argument then carefully and systematically outlined every objection she could imagine we'd have.  She addressed the probable kissing and potential for occasional swearing and immodest clothes.  (I thought the whole thing was adorable but I won't tell her that because this is serious business.)    

Braeden makes oral arguments that are convincing in a wear-you-down sort of way and make my head spin.  Mark's weapon of choice for persuasion is more physical in nature.  (Think Tigger.)  Pick your poison, but Emma understands the power of the written word and that makes me happy.  (I still haven't decided about the movie though.)

Speaking of writing, my writing group met this week.

I love those ladies.

I love this notebook that is getting fatter every month:


I decorated it with duct tape I found in Emma's room...

I have a tab for everyone in our group and print what they write.  My only complaint about my writing group is that I want their stories finished NOW.  They have children and church responsibilities and day jobs and a million other pulls on their time, but I want to read their stories!

They are fascinating, intelligent, creative and understanding women.  I am learning leaps and bounds about writing from the time I spend with them.  I am feeling encouraged and motivated.  I laugh a lot and I feel like I am part of a group that gets me.  You have to love people who have a favorite form of punctuation or who say things like "I feel inspired by you...not inspired to do anything about it, but inspired."

We are from the same tribe (so is Emma).  We like words; we love words.  (That semi-colon is for JoLyn.) We doggedly try over and over to get it right and express it well and how I adore that process!

I had this on my chalkboard and pointed it out to the group:


We all conceded that the second half is easier.  Writing is hard work.  It is fun and exhilarating but it is plain hard too.

Onward.

2 comments:

Sage Grayson said...

That letter is too cute. How did you respond to her argument? I agree that it's easier to live your life than to write about your life.

Marianne said...

I'm ready for your book to be done already!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails