Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Order restored

(mostly)

(for now)

On Monday when my kids were home from school I announced that we were going to move all the books.  They've been lovely chromatically arranged but if I can't find the book I'm looking for, it's not OK.

They protested.  (Seems they like to spend days off from school in more or less slothful ways.)

I assured them it wouldn't take long.  "Maybe 1/2 an hour," I promised.

When I said 1/2 an hour, what I really meant was all day. (I just didn't know it yet.)

They pulled books off shelves and stacked them in loosely organized piles.  Then the boys lost interest.  (It had been over 30 minutes so I released them.)  Emma stuck around and helped me awhile longer because she is more persevering than her brothers but she slipped away too after awhile.

I surveyed the piles (and piles) of books and decided that I was going to bite the bullet and really make the books arranged in a way that makes sense.

(It turns out that making sense is not as easy as you may think.)

I snapped this picture and texted it to Adam.  (I do that sometimes when I am feeling despair.)

He texted back "It's a sign of life.  I love it."

I'm glad he loves the messes signs of life I create.



Come on over and borrow a book.  (I will now be able to find it!)  After all my efforts, I am proud of the results.

Behold!

The YA fiction:

arranged alphabetically by author...I felt like a librarian

The poetry/humorous books/art books:


The church books and scrapbooks:


The shelf of Adam's books from graduate school.  These are the kinds of books I avoid but I think Braeden will probably want to read them...except for maybe not the one in Finnish...


The school books:

we use the bottom shelf every day...it stays tidy for 30 seconds, tops
The rest of the novels/anthologies/ etc.  
novels alphabetically by author's last name...such lovely order
The rest of the kid books.  No one ever reads these anymore but if I got rid of them, it would hurt my heart.


 And then there's this:


The books I'm getting rid of.  I'm going to toss some of them, give some away and sell some of them on Amazon.  I've never tried that.  Maybe I'll make enough money...that I can buy some more books.

No.

I didn't just type that.

No more books.

3 comments:

Sage Grayson said...

Haha, there's no such thing as too many books! I'm so envious of your book collection. Every home should have a well-stocked library.

Janet said...

Are you willing to open your "store" to the locals? It would save you time to not have to ship out some of those books. :) The last thing I probably need is more books that I don't have time to read but I am interested, nonetheless. :) Let me know.

Olivia Cobian said...

Well done.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails