Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New soup recipe

I decided to try a new recipe.  It looked delicious and hearty and everything you could want on a cold winter night.  It required soaking and cooking dried beans.

To this point in my life, I have been strictly a canned bean user but I was willing to try something new.  I was well on my way.

I had soaked the beans and I sauteed some vegetables to add to the mix.  (It should be noted because it was a miracle:  Braeden nabbed some celery before I slid it into the pan.  He said, "Do you have any more celery?"  I pointed him toward the fridge and he ate some.  He just pulled it out of the crisper and started chomping on a stalk.  This is the child that doesn't like vegetables except corn and I don't think that counts.  Is my little boy growing up?  Or is he just that hungry?)

The tantalizing aroma of sauteing vegetables drew all my children into the kitchen.  "What's for dinner?" they asked.  (At such times I swear I have thirty children instead of three...they swirl around me, a hungry swarm.)

I added the water and broth and soaked beans to the vegetables and set it all to simmer.  The recipe said to simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the beans were tender.  I wanted to make sure the beans were tender so I aimed for 1 1/2 hours.  I wasn't even close to 1 1/2 hours when I smelled something burning.

It was the beans, stuck to the bottom of the pan.  All the water was gone and any appetizing qualities the soup may have possessed were gone as well.  (Also our entire house smelled TERRIBLE!)

The next step in the recipe was to have dinner at Taco del Mar.

(They were out of fish.  Taco del Mar, please make sure you have enough fish so I can have a fish mondito burrito when I burn dinner.  I had chicken.  It was good, but still.)

Last night I tried the recipe again.  This time I used canned beans.  Much less dangerous.

So if you were looking for me to impress you, I guess maybe I oversold that a little.  Sorry Olivia. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails