Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy new year

New Year's Day is a favorite of mine.  I love taking down my Christmas decorations.  I love decorating for Christmas, I love my Christmas decorations and I love boxing them all up again.

Maybe it's the kind of change I love.

I love the clean-slate-seeing-everything-through-new-eyes that changing things up brings.

On New Year's Day, I feel optimistic.  I have ideas and quiet dreams that I intend to chip away at. There are books to read, lessons to learn and to teach.

Last year one of my New Year's resolutions was to learn to play Pachelbel's Canon in D.  (I did a concert last night.  It wasn't fabulous.) This year I am going to try Forrest Gump Suite by Alan Silvestri.  It's hard.  It will probably take a whole year of my hit and miss practicing.

I also want to complain less and appreciate more.  I want to do more and do less.  (It depends on which things I'm thinking about.)  I want to get better at knitting.  (I could not get worse.  If I forgot everything I know, it would not be worse.)  I want to write more.  My "novel" is now 66 consecutive pages.

I want to get to the point that I don't feel like I have to put "novel" in quotation marks because it's just too ridiculous that I think I can write a "novel".

I am grateful for the year that was and grateful for a blank year of calendar days to fill up.  I reflect on what was hard and what I learned and I hope I'm a better person.

So happy new year.  I hope yours is a nice one.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Right back at you! Your post makes me feel optimistic. I'd like to hear you play the piano sometime. I'd also like to read more of your novel--no quotes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails