Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The more wretched the weather...

...the more decadent the chocolate cake.

more dishes dirtied = better chocolate cake

We've had cold weather...though not as cold as the part of Nevada where I grew up.  It's been downright COLD there.  But it has been cold for here.  We are terribly spoiled by our wet and mild hardly-need-a-coat winters.

I feel betrayed by all my favorite weather sources.  You know I'm a weather nerd and I like to be appraised of the situation.  We had snow off and on all day yesterday and nowhere was that reflected in a forecast.

So I made a chocolate cake.

What else can you do?

Stephanie and I donned layers and walked our neighborhood.  We are intrepid like that.  We had cold fingers and cold toes and houses and laundry that needed our attention but we both need a walk.  Between the fresh air, companionship and free therapy, it's a key part of our day.

We were talking about people who matter to us and to our children and Stephanie said, "I love our little corner of the world."

Stephanie is a poet.

The weather is rotten.  The houses are close together (I grew up on acres and acres of sagebrush.  I don't think you should be able to see houses out the window).  The sky is...I don't know, we don't appear to have a sky on days like that.

But I love our little corner of the world too.  There are wonderful people inhabiting this corner.

(And there is chocolate cake.)

flecks of butter in the frosting = me, too impatient
I didn't just make chocolate cake yesterday.  I tried a new soup recipe.  I'll tell you about it tomorrow.  Prepare to be impressed.

3 comments:

Sage Grayson said...

Now I want a chocolate cake! The weather has been crummy around here too, and all I want to do is comfort myself with food. Cake is just one of those things that seems to make everything a little better. :)

Olivia Cobian said...

I am prepared. Impress me!

Stephanie L Johnson said...

ah, comfort food, we had Haystacks (without the little chinese crispy noodles, arghhh) and cranberries (for me) instead of raisins. Hot and filling.

yumm

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails