Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Family Fun

When I was growing up, I was shy and awkward and scared of most everything.  I didn't like roller coasters or roller skating.  I was afraid of water slides and high diving boards and popping balloons. (To name just a few.) 

Not much has changed except when I was growing up, my friends and family would beg and cajole and pressure me to do things I was afraid of and sometimes I'd do them...just to appease everyone.

Now, I'm all grown up and I can smile and say, "No thank you."

(It is so nice to be a grown up.)

As part of her Christmas present, Geri gave everyone a night at Whirlyball.  It is a game sort of like lacrosse and basketball and you play while riding in bumper cars. (Brian said it was like an All State commercial.  Mayhem.)

A few years ago, I rode in a bumper car and hurt my neck.  I didn't really hurt it too terribly, but it hurt enough to know that I wasn't going to go in bumper cars again.  So I smiled and said "No thank you," and was soon surrounded by a pile of keys and cell phones and happily watched the action from the sideline.





They are all naturally athletic and adventurous and I am naturally not at all athletic or adventurous.  I usually bring the dessert though so I do have a place in the family.  Also on Christmas day we played a game where you had to name Christmas songs and I was a super star.

Until there's another naming-Christmas-songs-game or bringing-dessert-opportunity, I'll be the one on the sidelines, babysitting cell phones and happily watching, because this group... makes me happy!




4 comments:

Sage Grayson said...

Yeah...I'm not much of an athlete either. Being bumped repeatedly or smacked in the face with a ball just doesn't sound like fun. Good for you for knowing yourself and not being pressured to participate.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with your statement you are no fun. I think you are very fun to be around and very funny. Geri

Megan said...

I have no clue what Shaun was trying to say with all those scarfs. I am excited to see what combination he pulls out the next time though. I had a lot of bones cracking the next day though and I blame Braeden. I think he had it out for me!

Whitney said...

That looks so fun!! Thelma, you are more than a dessert making, Christmas song knowing cell phone holder. You also watch our stuff while we spend all day in the water getting sun burned :) You also add intelligence to our very silly family, you always have a book to recommend, and you added 3 AMAZING people to the Davis clan (and in case you didn't know, 50% of that amazing-ness came from you)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails