Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Connecting

We were weeding outside and I overheard Mark say, "So, Braeden...tell me everything you know about Hittites."

It was an example of a little brother trying to connect with his older brother.  Mark has been learning about ancient civilizations in school and so he launched a conversation about something he knew Braeden loved.  The next thing I overheard was Mark saying, "Yeah, Hammurabi was pretty bronco."

Every time my boys meet in the middle it makes me happy.  Sometimes it is Braeden getting down on the floor to build with Legos.  Sometimes it is Mark starting a history discussion.   Often it is both of them wanting food.

*********

Yesterday, Mark and I were doing errands.  My phone rang and it was Janet.  I cried.  I have been fine, doggedly going through my days, hanging pictures and doing laundry and preparing meals (or not).  I've been determined to try to look for the positive parts of our new life and I've been striving for gratitude.  There's a lot to be grateful about.  I have been fine.

But somehow talking to Janet brought out the less-than-fine parts.  I miss her.  I miss a lot about before.  It was wonderful to talk to her though.

When I hung up the phone, Mark who had been in the car to hear the conversation--and the tears--said, "Now doesn't that feel good?  I felt really good after I talked to Gavin on the phone."

And I said, "Yes."

3 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

Thelma, this is just how I feel! It's rough to move or change. I've been missing my family so much. A lot of the time I am so happy and love college, but I miss home too and I cry sometimes when I talk to my mom. I love you guys so much!!!! <3

Stephanie L Johnson said...

Mark and Gavin just rambled on about the most recent game, they are so focused, I think they forget the distance.

love it,

stephanie

Stephanie L Johnson said...

also, it is a new morning, I am sitting here eating Zoi yogurt, granola, almonds, blackberries and grapes and laughing at "so, tell me all you know about Hitites". Seriously, funny stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails