Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Domesticity city

Melanee and Ammon have pear and apple trees which is a wonderful thing because they are good at sharing.

Melanee and I decided to make apple butter and apple marmalade.  She brought the apples and I said I'd provide everything else.  I pored over my recipes and put everything I needed carefully into a list in my phone that I promptly left in the car when I was at the store.

So I didn't buy enough pectin and bought more lemons than I needed.

This, sadly, is the story of my life.  I struggle with accuracy.

The apple butter takes a long time to turn to apple butter...which I guess makes sense.  Some sort of miracles have to take place if you're going from apples to butter.

We cooked and stirred and chatted a lot.  I left to go get Emma from school and returned and we cooked and stirred and chatted some more.  Finally, it was time to add the rest of the ingredients so we did.  More cooking and stirring and trying to avoid being burned by enthusiastic splattering boiling apple butter.  We started filling jars and Melanee went to pick Cormac up from school while I finished filling the jars.  I was about done when I realized that I forgot to add the pectin!

All of the sudden, it was OK that I didn't buy as much pectin as I had intended to buy.

This, sadly, is the story of my life.  I struggle with accuracy.

We have pretty little jars full of apple--syrup probably.

You can choose between pectin free apple butter on the left or pectin-full apple marmalade on the right.
When life refuses to hand you pectin...

(Is that an idiom?)

In completely unrelated news, here's my morning view.


I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of it.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Apple syrup sounds really good.

Stephanie L Johnson said...

In related fruit butter fail/disappointment arena. I cooked my pear butter too long and burned it. It went out with the trash this morning. All that work, all the time, and energy. Too bad.

And Mark does have friends, we just won't get to raz him in person until his hair is curly again. ; )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails