Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Books I read in September 2014



The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini **

This book was OK.  I liked the quilt part (even though I can't piece quilts, I wish I could) and I liked some of the characters.  I particularly liked the reminiscing of one of the characters.  I found other characters irritating.  There was this whole group of quilters who seemed indistinguishable from each other and who sort of annoyed me.

 
A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz ****

I typically don't love non fiction but this book was an exception.  It's about a man's journey to learn about himself and to be a better person based on what he learned from Jane Austen books while he was in graduate school studying them.  It was thought provoking and made me like one of my favorite authors, Jane Austen, even more.


 Rules of Civility by Amor Towles ***

This book was set in the '30s and I liked the setting.  Also I loved the snappy dialogue.  The plot was sort of depressing and the ending unsatisfying.



Hope in a Jar by Beth Harbison ***

This book was quintessential chick lit.  There was the longtime friendship, mean girls complete with a comeuppance and a romance.  It was a fun and quick read although the language was a little rough at times.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm so impressed with how much you get done, and that you found time to read while moving and settling in!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails