Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Field trip

Mark and I went to the BYU Museum of Art yesterday.  We were going to go to the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum but needed to buy tickets to Clarissa's choir concert so we were by the art museum anyway.  (I would rather go to an art museum than a science museum any day of the week.)

Mark thought this sculpture had a Minecraft vibe about it.


Mark was enthusiastic about the art and you've got to admire an 11 year old boy who is enthusiastic about an art museum.  Also, he and I had about the same amount of attention span for each piece of art which is key when you are at any museum with someone.  There are the browsers and there are the readers of every word and you have to be with someone compatible!

We had a pleasant time walking around and soaking up beauty.  There was an Indian exhibit "Visions of Vishnu" that we enjoyed and also an Indian and Pakistani quilt exhibit.  I wish I could quilt!  You have to be a lot of things I'm not to be able to piece quilts.  Among them is exactness.  In a room there were quilts on the wall and then baskets full of wooden geometric shapes.  We could arrange them into "quilt blocks."  It was easier than fabric!

As you can imagine, Mark took the exactness of it all quite seriously.
The closest I'll ever get to making a quilt block...
 Pretty soon Mark took over completely and started some free form patterns.


He sifted through baskets of shapes like it was his job.

\











After I was done with shapes (Mark would still be there if I'd let him), we joined up with everyone's favorite BYU student, Clarissa, and took her to lunch.  It's always a pleasure to be with her.  At lunch I sat across the booth from Clarissa and Mark and they companionably shared a few Studio C Lobster Bisque quotes.  At one point Mark confessed to Clarissa that he had no friends and Clarissa exclaimed, "I'm your friend!"

I love that girl.

When we dropped her off for class, Mark reached up from the back seat and gave her a farewell pat on the shoulder.  She turned around and gave him a high five.  He called after her as she climbed out of the van, "I love you!"

Clarissa turned back and said, "Ahhhh.  I love you guys too!" and with that we sent her off to class.

I love cousin relationships.  They are like siblings you don't have to argue with about whose turn it is to empty the dishwasher.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Thanks for being such a great aunt/cousin!

Olivia Cobian said...

How sweet. This made me tear up. Sometimes I think I'm as soft as my old man!

Stephanie L Johnson said...

She is an angel

hugs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails