Pages

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Very married

If I get married, I want to be very married.

Audrey Hepburn


I think Adam and I have achieved "very married."  We can do that thing where we communicate paragraphs with a look.  We like to do mundane things together.  Costco?  Filling the car with gas?  Anywhere?  It's fun if we're together. 

We don't so much finish each other sentences because we know what each other is thinking but more because Adam stops talking mid sentence a lot because he's a deep thinker.  I stop talking mid sentence because I forget words.  (I would blame old age, but I've been like this for a long time.)

Adam and our kids are really good at deciphering what I mean when I call everyone "whosit" and everything "whatsit."

Maybe a way that Adam and I are most compatible is that I like to switch decorations around and he doesn't notice.  It's a beautiful thing.

Recently I pointed out to him that I'd changed a few things for spring.



He admired (dutifully) and then I said, "Now I need to show you my pièce de résistance."  He corrected my French pronunciation because who am I kidding?

Then I led him into the living room.

He looked around.  "Is that pillow new?"

"No.  We've had it for a few months."

He came up empty, so I introduced him to Andromeda.


Isn't she lovely?

Adam said, "That's kind of weird."

And that's OK.  Because we could have gone months (years?) without him even noticing her.

I think every room needs something "kind of weird" and he doesn't mind. 

We're very married.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails