Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Home school, continued

Mark and Adam have a pretty easy relationship.  Now that I think of it, those two have pretty easy relationships with most people.

Last night Mark lay on the couch with his feet on Adam's lap.  I love Mark completely but Adam takes it a step further and will rub Mark's feet.

Mark was telling Adam about the much anticipated (by Mark) debate in his AP world history class between capitalism and communism.  If you have ever watched Parks and Rec, Mark is a delightful mix of Tom Haverford and Ron Swanson.  He does like to treat himself, but he also is a Ron Swanson capitalist.  Anyone who loves money as much as Mark would have to be.

He was supremely disgusted in the classmates that chose to argue on the side of communism.  He was horrified that in the end, the advocates for communism won because capitalists defected to their side.

"It's the end of our democracy," he said gloomily.

I loved listening to him.  Not because I want it to be the end of our democracy, but because I love his passion and that he is learning things that are expanding his mind.  Like his brother before him, he reads the news and processes it and then discusses it (usually with Adam).  He has his own ideas and Chez Adam is a place where you can have your own ideas but you had better be ready to back them up.

They went on to talk about the report on the Mueller investigation and Mark told Adam about a new economic concept he'd learned about and then they talked about sources of energy.

I taught these kids the colors and letters and sounds.  I taught them to read and write and add and subtract.  I'm glad Adam's here to take up where I left off and push them to think deeper and express their ideas.

They all just think they're talking, but I see education happening.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Way to have a house of learning!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails