Pages

Monday, March 25, 2019

We turned 46

Does that seem old?  It seems sort of old to us.  I don't know why age always surprises us.  I am amazed by how old our kids are.  I'm amazed by how old we are.  Is my brain somehow unable to process years?  I'm never surprised when it's been an hour.  I've never thought, "It's just not possible that it's dinnertime already.  Where has the time gone?"

These are the musings of a 46 year old woman.

It wasn't a particularly unusual or splashy celebration, but it was a nice day.

In the morning Adam went to referee some church basketball games in Provo. (They wanted to hire refs which begs the question of what has happened in the past?!?)  Mark went to work and I sat down at my desk to do some online suicide prevention training that I needed for my teaching license.

Adam came home and we split a cupcake from Cravings that a friend had dropped by.  Then errands. To prepare for hosting some mini missionaries (youth in our ward assigned to come to dinner and teach us a lesson).  We are having Finnish food so we went in quest of some.  We went to IKEA for lingonberry sauce and meatballs and licorice.  That's Swedish food, but also Finnish food.  We went to Pirate O's in Draper.  Mark thought it sounded like a breakfast cereal when we told him about it but it is an eclectic little store with shelves jam packed with foreign foods.  It's the kind of place we love.  We found more Finnish candy and some Finnish sourdough rye crackers.  Adam declared them perfect. (We aren't having missionaries as it turns out--but we're inviting some other Davises over for dinner--there are several in the neighborhood to choose from.)

We also swung by the grocery store and just thoroughly enjoyed our time together, like usual.

There's no one I would rather share my life or birthday with.

Mark was home when we got home.  We had originally decided to take our kids to Sam Hawk for dinner because it is the best Korean food in the world. (I'm guessing.  I've never been to Korea and I've been to about four Korean restaurants so I feel like I'm an authority on this one.)  We changed our minds though.  We didn't know where we wanted to go.


We changed our minds several times and I kept calling Braeden who was coming with Emma from Provo.  Every time, Braeden answered the phone with, "WHAT'S UP, birthday girl!"

We finally landed on Marley's which is a slider restaurant next to a big Harley Davidson store.  None of us had ever been there but we were fans!  We didn't fit in at all with the bikers there, but the food was delicious.

Mark regaled us with tales of his work day and we laughed a lot and talked over each other a lot and ate a lot.

So a successful birthday dinner.

We came home and opened gifts.  If you know me, you know I love gifts, but maybe my favorite part was Emma's cards.

This was Adam's (and Emma said,  "Maybe I shouldn't write birthday cards at 1:00 AM."):


This was mine:






Adam helped Braeden with his taxes and Emma and Mark and I played Caption This which we got for Christmas from the Jorgensens but had somehow never played together.  It was hilarious and Mark and Emma are both really good at it which was not in the least surprising, but as a result I lost.

Later we had cheesecake and Adam and Braeden joined us for more Caption This playing.  These are my people and they delight me.  That is all.

We sat down for scripture reading at the end of the night and Adam said, "This reminds me of January 2.  We are all here but there are no Christmas decorations."

It is true that the last time it was us five, it was Christmas vacation.  There's always room for more but as long as these four people are in my life, I am happy.  Forever and ever amen.


1 comment:

Edgar Cobian said...

Lovely post. I'm glad you were withal your kids for your birthday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails