Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

DNA

Yesterday morning, Emma was having a crisis of confidence.  We were texting back and forth.  She was stressed because she had to go into a museum and talk to the director who she doesn't know and it was all going to be in French and she didn't feel like her French was up to the task.  I've tried to fill her head while she was growing up with stories of her pioneer ancestors and the feats of strength they accomplished.  "Their blood is in your veins!"

Yesterday, I texted her a reminder about ancestors on her dad's side.  I reminded her of the woman who lived in Massachusetts and was scalped by Indians so had a silver plate on her head.  Now that's a tough woman.  Also, I reminded her of her great great grandma, who in addition to raising Adam's very colorful Grandma Kate (who was a character), moved with her young family (Grandma Kate was 5) to America from Denmark.  They didn't speak much English and were swindled out of their money at a train station in Chicago.  They went on to live in Ogden, UT and Emma's great great grandma Simonsen was a strong and faithful woman. One time Adam's aunt Jeri told me all about her and what a bright light she had been in her life.

"Their blood is in your veins!"  I texted Emma.  "You are made of tough stuff!"

We also had a training at our school yesterday where we were hosting two other schools.  We provided breakfast and I had two big bags full of my contribution:  2 gallons of juice, paper products, utensils.  In addition to that I had my overstuffed bag:  grade book, notebooks, laptop, and my lunch and water bottle.

I staggered a little under the weight of it as I loaded myself up to go to my car.

Adam said, "Do you want help carrying that?"

"No,"  I said.  "It's an Egbert Load.  I've got it."

When I was growing up, my mom used to tease my dad when he loaded up something too much (usually his horse drawn wagon of firewood).  She'd call it an Egbert Load.  (My dad's mom was an Egbert and apparently a family trait was overestimating how much you could carry.)

I think my mom meant it in a cautionary way, as in, don't try to take an Egbert Load.

I take it more as a challenge I am accepting.

I guess it's in my DNA.

2 comments:

Gwilliam Fam said...

I love how you refer to your ancestors for strength to press forward. I want to be better at that!

Olivia Cobian said...

I love this story about Great Grandpa Egbert. It helps me understand that "Egbert load" business: https://www.familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/40013603?cid=mem_copy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails