Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Friday

In the morning Mark and Adam and I took another walk.  This time we went up the stairs of the nearby convention center and looked out over the bay and decided which yacht we would want.


photo credit:  Mark

It had rained earlier and I told Mark to stop splashing in puddles.  He said, "This isn't a phase, Mom.  It's who I am."

He's not wrong.

We gathered up the group eventually and headed to the Mormon Battalion Visitor's Center.  It was Braeden and Anna's first time but we were all happy to visit.  We also saw some nearby beautiful houses and churches and I bought the turtle made of rocks I wanted to buy the last time we came to San Diego but didn't.  I don't have a picture of him because he is wrapped up and in the back of the van.

But Braeden named him Franklin and it has stuck.

We picked up Geri from the airport and went with her to lunch at The Tequila Factory which had been a recommendation from Anna's aunt.  It was REALLY good.  As in, I wish I could go back every day.

photo credit:  Adam


After that we went to the U.S.S. Midway museum.

photo credit:  Mark

We vacillated about spending the money on the entrance fee but finally decided to and I'm glad we did.  It was worth it.

I was fascinated to see the workings of the aircraft carrier and sure that I could never live like that.  The bunks of the enlisted sailors made me queasy they were packed in so tightly.  There were some retired pilots who were speaking about landing and taking off from the aircraft carrier and it was amazing to listen to.  I am grateful for the well oiled machine that is our military.  Their attention to detail and strong discipline are inspiring.

Mark also took this picture, from inside the U.S.S. Midway:



Mark was like a little boy inside the airplanes.


He hasn't quite forgiven diabetes for making it so he can't be a military pilot.

Adam took this shot right after we left the ship:


We went back to our hotel and Mark and I napped and Adam read, then we all assembled again and went to dinner at a New Haven style pizza restaurant Adam knew about.

photo credit:  Mark

Mark loved everything about the restaurant, down to the music.  I was just there for the margherita pizza.  It was truly New Haven style and it made me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails